Pregnancy and Avocados: How Good This Wonderful Fruit Really Is?
Hello, amazing mom-to-be! It’s such a joyous time, waiting for that little bundle of happiness to arrive. You’re here today because you’re determined to provide the best for your baby, and that’s simply commendable.
So, have you thought about introducing avocados into your diet during this miraculous journey of pregnancy? If not, it’s high time we bring this nourishing fruit into the spotlight for you and your little one.
Avocado: The Buttery Bliss
Picture an avocado for a moment. It’s smooth, creamy, and oh so deliciously buttery. Ever wondered why we call it the ‘butter fruit’? It’s the beautifully healthy fats housed within it that gives it the scrumptious buttery texture we all adore.
These are the same healthy fats found in olives and nuts that love your heart just as much as you love the taste of them. Good for you and incredibly tasty, what’s not to love?
These fats aren’t just about the flavour, dear friends. They have a loving role to play in your baby’s brain and tissue development and your own nutrient absorption. It’s like sending a loving embrace from you to your baby.
Avocados: The Superhero of Pregnancy
Alright, it’s time to let you in on why avocados should be your go-to companion during this beautiful journey.
- Folic Acid: This magical nutrient hidden in avocados plays a crucial role in the healthy development of your baby’s brain and spine. Regularly sharing an avocado with your little one can help reduce the risk of birth defects, ensuring a smooth and healthy journey for both of you.
- Potassium: Cramps? We’ve all been there, and it’s not fun. Well, here’s some good news, avocados have more potassium than bananas. This mineral helps soothe those annoying leg cramps, keeping you comfy while maintaining your body’s fluid balance and muscle contractions.
- Vitamins and More: Avocados are a storehouse of vital vitamins like C, E, K, and B-6, along with riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and a whole lot more. These loving nutrients are essential for your well-being and your baby’s healthy growth.
- Digestive Relief: Remember, this wonder fruit is rich in fibre, helping you keep those pregnancy-related digestive issues at bay. Avocados are like a comforting friend helping you maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- Healthy Fats: The monounsaturated fats in avocados don’t just tickle your taste buds, they also play a pivotal role in the absorption of other essential nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, and K.
In the third trimester of pregnancy, when your baby’s brain and other vital organs are growing swiftly, avocados come to the rescue with their treasure trove of nutrients.
This is when you and your baby need extra nourishment, and avocados are ready to answer that call.
So, why not invite this green wonder fruit into your daily routine? It’s an exciting journey you’re embarking on, and avocados can make it a delicious one too.
Whether you smash it on a toast or blend it into a creamy guacamole, avocados promise to nourish both you and your baby.
Remember, just like in all great stories, balance is key. Include this tasty, creamy avocado as a part of a varied diet. Not only will your taste buds thank you, but your body and your baby will too. After all, a healthy, happy mom makes a healthy, happy baby!
We hope this guide has cleared all your doubts related to the avocados used in pregnancy. Still, if you have questions, feel free to ask our experts. They will be more than happy to assist you with your questions.
Dr. Supriya Puranik
Gynaecologist & IVF Specialist
Often known as the last glimmer of hope for people who have lost all hope for conceiving a child, Dr. Supriya Puranik is a leading gynaecologist, high risk obstetrician and Head of IVF & Gynaecology department at Ankura Hospital for Women & Children.
Appointment On Call