What is Colposcopy?
Colposcopy is a specialised procedure used to examine female reproductive organs. As part of this procedure, Dr. Supriya Puranik uses a colposcope to magnify the cervical and vulval area to check for signs of infection or abnormal growths. A colposcopy is a device that looks like a pair of binoculars and is equipped with magnification capabilities of up to 30x – which aids in early diagnosis.
This process also includes taking tissue samples which are further examined under the microscope for any abnormalities, precancerous cells or cancerous lesions. If these are detected early enough, patients can benefit from timely treatment interventions leading to better outcomes.
Dr. Supriya Puranik has over 10 years of experience in performing Colposcopy procedures with utmost care and precision ensuring patient safety at every step along with success rates close to 99%.
Benefits of Colposcopy
Colposcopy has several benefits in the field of women’s health, like decreased chances of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Other benefits are:
- Early Detection of Abnormalities: Colposcopy allows healthcare providers to detect & visualise early changes in cervical cells that may indicate pre-cancerous or cancerous conditions. This early detection can lead to timely intervention and treatment.
- Precise Biopsy Guidance: If suspicious areas are identified during colposcopy, a biopsy can be taken directly from the abnormal tissue. This targeted approach helps ensure accurate diagnosis & guides further management decisions.
- Differentiation of Normal and Abnormal Tissues: Colposcopy helps distinguish between normal and abnormal tissue by magnifying the view, aiding in the identification of potentially problematic areas that may not be visible to the naked eye.
- Monitoring High-Risk Patients: For individuals with a history of abnormal Pap smears or positive human papillomavirus (HPV) tests, colposcopy is a valuable tool for monitoring and assessing changes over time.
- Guidance for Treatment Planning: Colposcopy results guide fertility specialists in determining whether additional treatments, such as cervical biopsy, excisional procedures, or other interventions, are necessary.
- Minimally Invasive: Colposcopy is a minimally invasive procedure that can be performed in an outpatient setting, reducing the need for more invasive surgical procedures.
- Patient Education: Colposcopy allows fertility specialists to educate patients about their cervical health & provide visual information about any identified abnormalities.
- Reduced Need for Overtreatment: By accurately identifying high-risk areas, colposcopy can help prevent unnecessary treatments for individuals with low-risk or transient abnormalities.
- Follow-Up and Surveillance: Colposcopy plays a crucial role in the long-term follow-up and surveillance of patients with treated or resolved cervical abnormalities.
- Research and Education: Colposcopy aids in medical research, training, and education of healthcare professionals, contributing to advancements in the field of gynaecology and women’s health.
It’s important to note that while colposcopy offers many benefits, it is typically recommended based on individual risk factors and results from other tests.
If you have concerns about your cervical health or are recommended for colposcopy, it’s advisable to discuss the procedure, its benefits, and any potential risks with your healthcare provider.
Dr. Supriya Puranik performs colposcopy as an outpatient procedure in her clinic following strict hygiene protocols. She carries out each step carefully while providing her patients with all the necessary information and answering any queries they may have regarding the same.
Once the examination has been completed using the colposcope, she may recommend one or more additional tests for tissue sampling, including cervical biopsies, endocervical sampling, etc.
The duration for such tests ranges between 15 minutes-1 hours depending on individual cases and results are available within 2-3 days post-sample collection.
Post Surgery Care
Patients should follow guidelines mentioned by Dr. Supriya regarding self-care after their procedure like refraining from sexual activity for at least 1 week; using sanitary pads instead of tampons; avoiding pools/hot tubs and vigorous activity until they receive clearance from her post follow-up visits etc.
Depending on each individual case’s findings she also suggests lifestyle changes if needed such as smoking cessation or alcohol reduction/elimination, diet changes etc which help improve overall health outcomes significantly over time
Schedule an Appointment
If you are considering having Colposcopy or have any questions about it, contact Dr. Supriya Puranik by calling her clinic or emailing her team. With her extensive experience in treating gynaecological issues compassionately, Dr. Supriya Puranik ensures that each of her patients has access to the highest quality care available.
With her commitment to patient-centric care, she provides personalized treatment plans with compassionate understanding towards each individual’s health concerns and well-being., so if you need help regarding your female reproductive health don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Supriya Puranik today!
Dr. Supriya Puranik
Gynaecologist & IVF Specialist
Often known as the last glimmer of hope for people who have lost all hope for conceiving a child, Dr. Supriya Puranik is a leading gynaecologist, high-risk obstetrician and Head of IVF & Gynaecology department at Ankura Hospital, Pune
Patient Reviews & Feedback
- Om Kadel
She is excellent. And as a goddess for my family. After long time I m blessed with twins baby due to her efforts only. She used to boost me with lots of positive thoughts whenever I lost the hope. You are too supportive mam. Thanks a lot.
Even the hospital staff, Nurses, mousis,house keeping staffs are at your step when ever needed when I was admitted.
The food provided is well planned according to the diet of patients by mam. Thank you very much mam for this turn over in my life after 12 years of marriage.
- Ashwini Sonawane
Dr. Supriya Puranik’s mam is very sweet person I have ever met. She is very caring, her ever smiling face always gives you positive wives. Staff is also very helpful and care taking during delivery, the best hospitality service I would say…
Thank you so much Dr Puranik Mam and Team. keep up the good work
A detailed guide into the genetic intricacies of azoospermia, uncovering how genetic factors impact sperm production and fertility.
“Discover the various types of Azoospermia and their causes, shedding light on male infertility.