TESA – Testicular Sperm Aspiration
What is TESA?
TESA stands for Testicular Sperm Aspiration, a fertility treatment procedure that involves extracting sperm directly from the testicles of a man. TESA is a minimally invasive procedure carried out under local anaesthesia, which collects sperm from the testicles for use in Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) to facilitate fertilization.
TESA is a suitable fertility treatment for men with azoospermia (no sperm in the semen) due to a blockage, failed vasectomy reversal, or genetic reasons. TESA treatment is also suitable for men undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy leading to decreased sperm production and quality.
Process of TESA
TESA is typically performed in a few simple steps, including:
- Local anaesthesia administration
Local anaesthesia is administered to numb the testicular area.
- Sperm aspiration
A fine needle is inserted into the testicle, and the spermatic fluid is aspirated. The process is repeated in different areas of the testicles to collect as many sperm as possible.
- Examination of sperm
The sperm collected undergoes a thorough examination under a microscope to determine their quality and quantity.
- Injection of the sperm
ICSI, a fertilization procedure, is then employed to inject the collected sperm directly into the egg and facilitate fertilization.
Benefits of TESA
TESA offers several benefits, including:
- Increased Chance of Conceiving a Child: TESA helps couples who may have had difficulty conceiving due to male infertility issues by providing a viable option to use sperm for ICSI. This procedure increases the chances of fertilization, embryo development, and implantation.
- Suitable for Men Diagnosed with Azoospermia: TESA is a suitable option for men with azoospermia, a condition characterized by the absence of sperm in the semen due to obstruction, testicular dysfunction, or other factors. It helps to retrieve viable sperm from the testes and increases the chances of conception.
- Flexibility in Fertility Treatment Options: TESA offers more flexibility in fertility treatment options to couples who have failed to achieve pregnancy using other fertility treatments or wish to explore alternatives to sperm donation. It is a safe and minimally invasive procedure that reduces the risks of more invasive surgeries.
- A Safe and Convenient Procedure: TESA is a safe, painless, and straightforward procedure with no significant risks or side effects. The procedure is performed in an outpatient setting, and patients can resume their daily activities shortly afterwards.
Get in Touch:
Dr. Supriya Puranik, a leading IVF specialist in Pune, India, provides holistic and personalized fertility care, including TESA. She has helped countless couples achieve their dream of becoming parents and is committed to providing empathetic and trustworthy services to each patient.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Puranik if you’re struggling with your fertility journey and wish to explore the benefits of TESA and other fertility treatment options that may suit your needs.
Dr. Supriya Puranik
Gynaecologist & IVF Specialist
Often known as the last glimmer of hope for people who have lost all hope for conceiving a child, Dr. Supriya Puranik is a leading gynaecologist, high-risk obstetrician and Head of IVF & Gynaecology department at Ankura Hospital, Pune
Patient Reviews & Feedback
- Om Kadel
She is excellent. And as a goddess for my family. After long time I m blessed with twins baby due to her efforts only. She used to boost me with lots of positive thoughts whenever I lost the hope. You are too supportive mam. Thanks a lot.
Even the hospital staff, Nurses, mousis,house keeping staffs are at your step when ever needed when I was admitted.
The food provided is well planned according to the diet of patients by mam. Thank you very much mam for this turn over in my life after 12 years of marriage.
- Ashwini Sonawane
Dr. Supriya Puranik’s mam is very sweet person I have ever met. She is very caring, her ever smiling face always gives you positive wives. Staff is also very helpful and care taking during delivery, the best hospitality service I would say…
Thank you so much Dr Puranik Mam and Team. keep up the good work
A detailed guide into the genetic intricacies of azoospermia, uncovering how genetic factors impact sperm production and fertility.
“Discover the various types of Azoospermia and their causes, shedding light on male infertility.